Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Low Bridge, Everybody Down...♪

♪ ...Low bridge cause we're coming to a town
And you'll always know your neighbor
And you'll always know your pal
If you've ever navigated on the Erie Canal 

If you ever find yourself running along the Erie Canal with Jim, you will hear this song. I'm from Texas so that might explain why I completely missed this song during my childhood. In fact, the only version I have heard is the Big Bad Jim rendition. 

Jim and I discovered the beauty of the Miami and Erie Canal Heritage Corridor on Christmas day, and enjoyed it so much that we returned to see more the next day. It turns out it a 40 mile trail along the towpath that runs from Delphos to Ft. Loramie. There are a lot of very neat historic structures to see along the way, AND it is part of the Buckeye Trail!

Now, if you do now know about the Buckeye Trail then you are really missing out! Before I decided to move to Ohio, I did a search for trails in Ohio. A girl has her priorities, right? It turns out that there is a trail marked with blue blazes around the entire perimeter of the state. That told me that Ohio was my kind of place. It wasn't the only reason I took a job in Ohio, but a good job and 1,200 mile trail are very persuasive. Secretly I dream of section "hiking" (or more like running) the entire thing. 

Time for some pictures of our Miami to Erie Canal towpath adventure (cue the music...♪ )


St. Mary's Memorial Park


End of Day 1
Back to the Little Tunnel - Day 2
Into the Rabbit Hole
One of the many neat locks along the way
Who put that there?
NOT a romantic story. Seriously.



Turn around point - Six Mile Creek Aqueduct

The 7 mile journey (14 round trip) turned out to be a little adventure. Places like this make Ohio a great place to live. After years of living here, there are still so very many places to explore. We don't even have to go very far to find them! 33 miles to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment